I have now completed the first year of my MA, I felt a bit swamped by the amount of written work I had to do and I was rusty.
Time spent drawing was a welcome relief:
I also managed to find a bit of time to sew, these are experiments, ink and stitch, ink is dropped randomly on the fabric and stitches added once it is dry. It’s the opposite way in which I usually work, often I will plan my embroideries, work out the scale, colour and stitches. I wanted to try something a bit more abstract and unplanned:
If I find time to do more, maybe I will piece them together to make a book.
For my MA I have been working on a theme about income inequality, adding gold leaf to found, abandoned objects, these are early ones:
These are more recent:
The two bobbins belong to an old Singer sewing machine, one of them is gold leafed and the other has Japanese Real Gold thread wound around it. The second object is an old shuttle from a weaving loom, the metal spike that holds the yarn has been polished and gold leafed.
I am currently working with red thread and sewing machine bobbins, continuing the connection with the garment workers and vulnerability, hopefully if any of them work out I will be able to post them next time.